In most conversations we have with learning leaders, telling the story of impact is a primary objective of learning measurement and analytics. Yet, this doesn't seem to be in their grasp and the process and tools to do so seem complex and cumbersome. At Performitiv, we're dedicated to helping learning leaders tell their story of impact in collaborative and constructive ways. The model exists and the technology to automate it are available.
So what is the model to tell the story of impact? We call it the Impact Optimization Model. It is a model that leading experts have embraced and it is based on methodology-sound concepts and scientifically proven data inputs. Moreover, the model is a process that fits into your learning design and delivery process to coexist and allow your team to generate insightful data to tell the story of impact for any program in any modality.
How does the Impact Optimization Model work? It is based on an Evidence-based approach to measuring impact. This is more rigorous than an ad-hoc process that tends to be reactive and informal but it is less intense than a one-off impact study or statistical causal model that are great to do but only periodically and when needed. The Evidence-based approach is practical and repeatable to implement to tell the story of learning's impact when limited money, time and resources exist and you need impact ratings and associations to impact on the majority of a diverse set of learning investments.
The Impact Optimization Model is based on 4 steps
(1) Collect impact data (largely controlled by L&D and linked to learning programs) (ex. Job Impact Rating) using our scientifically-sound impact evaluations.
(2) Gather outcome data (influenced by L&D but not directly linked to a learning program) (ex. Compliance Incidents, Sales Growth Rate) using our API, upload or auto-messaging features.
(3) Share impact scores on the program, people and results and trend outcome data looking for associations to L&D using our dynamic, insightful report suites.
(4) Act on the data to continuously improve using our collaboration and workflow tools.
Using the aforementioned approach the story of learning impact emerges in multiple ways. First, you can tell the story of impact by the people who went through the programs by studying differences in the impact ratings by demographic profile. Second, you can tell the story of impact when you compare impact ratings from one program to another or one modality to another. Finally, the story of impact becomes most meaningful when you trend business outcome data before, during and after the program and associate with appropriate annotation where learning played a role, overtime, as the changes in results transpired.
Automating the Impact Optimization Model is important to ensuing it is a managed process. Our Performitiv Impact Measurement Technology is built to do this. The technology can integrate with feeder systems like an LMS, HRIS or business systems to ensure data collection is automated, safe and reliable as we use API connections to do this. The Performitiv system also leverages Artificial Intelligence (AI) to deliver analysis not reports so that your practitioners review the story of impact not read reports they must interpret themselves.
Performitiv automates your story of impact using the Impact Optimization Model through the following 4 tools:
(1) Start by rolling out the Assessment functionality, which makes it very easy to gather and report on impact ratings and overall performance.
(2) Next, roll out the KPI functionality, which streamlines and automates the gathering and reporting of business outcome data.
(3) When action is needed, use the Workflow functionality to collaborate with your team and your stakeholders in a visible, accountable way.
(4) Reporting is simple yet actionable. Analysis is embedded to engage and empower users with creative insights to demonstrate value and improve performance.
Ultimately, the story of learning impact can be told, all the time. It can be a healthy, positive, collaborative process. If you use the Impact Optimization Model and you automate it you'll accrue the following benefits:
• You'll use scientifically sound impact measures.
• Your approach will be based on proven improvement methodology.
• Your data collection is a positive experience for respondents.
• You'll link impact measures to outcome measures.
• You'll identify pockets of demographics in need of improvement.
• Your process will be practical and scalable to deploy across all programs.
• You'll leverage modern technologies such as APIs and AI.
• You'll tap into Workflow automation to collaborate and improve.
• You'll collect baseline data for analysts to do deeper impact studies.
The Performitiv Team